Friday, February 4, 2011

Praying for a Free Egypt

I don’t like politics. I have no aspirations to be a politician, and the thought of being one makes me cringe. I prefer not to talk about politics though there are some instances in which passion stirs me to speak. In those moments, I rant so fervently I doubt I’m very coherent and I leave the recipients of such talks speechless at my passion. I’ve come to one of those moments. This blog is not intended to be political in any way, and though the topic is highly political, I would like to attempt to address it from heaven’s eyes and the eyes of those it affects most.

The events taking place in Egypt is and will continue to greatly affect the world. I don’t think many Americans understand the depth of the impact, but we rarely choose to understand anything that does not have immediate and direct affect on us. I know all of the political reasons we should take an interest in Egypt, but I’m not going to address those. You can turn on a news channel or read a newspaper to get that information. Rather, as a people who love God, we have a different responsibility towards Egypt and her people. As I’ve watched the events unfold and listened to the comments of the Egyptians, I’ve had a myriad of verses running through my mind from the Psalms, Proverbs, and a chapter in Isaiah. I’m going to focus on one in an effort to keep this short.

Proverbs 14:31 say, “He who oppresses the poor reproaches his Maker. But he who honors Him has mercy on the needy.”

I am amazed at God’s love for us all. Whether we have accepted Christ as Lord or not, God loves us as our Maker. His desire for the fatherless and oppressed draws Him toward mercy. And how merciful He has been to us all. The Egyptians have suffered oppression under the leadership of their president for decades. They have lived in poverty and hunger with little hope of any change. They have lived in fear of torture and senseless murder from the police while their president’s economic policies have essentially robbed them of a livelihood. Many live without education and die of preventable and curable illnesses due to the lack of healthcare. While the oppression of the Christians in Egypt has been much greater than that of the Muslims, God hates evil regardless the form and magnitude. It is important that we stand with the Egyptians in prayer as they peacefully pursue their freedom. They are crying out, and their cries do not fall upon deaf ears. I know God hears them, as should we, His ambassadors and priests on earth. It is bad stewardship for us, who have been given the words of life and freedom, to avert our eyes from those who are oppressed and crying out for freedom. Whether it’s Egypt, Sudan, Korea, or Colombia, we need to be praying for Holy Spirit to comfort the oppressed and liberty to be proclaimed to the captives. In this moment, Egypt has risen up and is seeking freedom. Let us honor the Lord by showing mercy to Egypt through our prayers. Let us stand with the oppressed, remembering the love of Christ and His desire to free them.

I know a huge concern is Egypt’s peace agreement with Israel and the stand Egypt will take as a democratic nation towards Israel and America. I do not mean to sound callous, but our concern should not be the “what ifs” of tomorrow. God guides the hearts of kings wherever He pleases (Proverbs 21:1 paraphrase). It is unjust for us to allow oppression for the sake of a future hope. The plans of the Lord will prevail (Proverbs 19:21 paraphrase), but we must have His heart of mercy towards the oppressed if we are to honor Him before men. What will come will come, and we will address it as He leads. But now, this is at our door, and we must be willing to take a stand in prayer for the needy. Otherwise, we join in reproaching our Maker. I know it’s God’s heart to free nations, and He has invited us to join Him in this. As the Egyptians continue in protest, I will be praying for a free Egypt. How about you?

Read Isaiah 19 to learn more about God’s heart for Egypt. Let God's will be done and Christ prevail within the hearts of the Egyptians. Let them call upon His Name and be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment